[Gambas-devel] gambas source code structure

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jan 3 15:11:15 CET 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 12:42, José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi Benoît, I would like you to think about modifying the source code
> structure for gambas.  Your project has grown up a lot, and everyday is
> harder to maintain the components as a whole, because of their
> interdependencies.  I would like to see a model similar to most
> programming languages in the linux world (python, perl, C, etc.). I.E. a
> separated api that allows to compile the different components of
> libraries outside from the main tree.
>
> So if I would like to get only the net component I only would need the
> gambas headers (and library), net libraries and net component source
> code to compile it.
>
> This would make distro maintainers life much easier, because we would
> have the source code split. Nowadays if only a component fails, all the
> gambas components are stopped because they share the same source code
> package. I am in charge of the development of the LinEx distribution (a
> regional Debian based distribution) and I have included gambas-runtime &
> gambas-qt components in the last linex cd version. That means that in a
> couple of months more than 60.000 computers will be upgraded to that
> version and will have the ability of run the gambas apps we have made.
> Maintaining such network is harder if I have to recompile the gambas
> code everytime a component is updated or a bug is corrected.

Sorry, I don't understand the problem.

If you just want to compile one component, enter its directory, and type
"make".

The compilation of the entire package must not break, or that's mean this is
not a package to use. And bug fixes are often not independant. They can
concern simultaneously the interpreter, the compiler and the component for
example.

And I don't see how I could split the source code!

> Component developers life would also be easier for the same reasons,
> they wouldn't have to worry about inserting their code inside your core
> source tree. You could even share your work easily giving some
> components administration to some volunteers and you would only work in
> your favorite components and the gambas core.

I don't want to let too many freedom to other developers, because I have to
look at the interface of their components, to ensure they are coherent and
simple to use.

> It is a suggestion, but I think it would be a useful step in gambas
> development, and it doesn't mean a lot of work to do.

If you could more details about how I can split the source code, maybe I could
do something :-)

> Regards.

mailto:gambas at ...1...