[Gambas-devel] mandrake packages need help

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Tue Jun 15 16:10:14 CEST 2004

OK, I decided to stop trying to build these 0.93b packages after
the 20th attempt (actually 21st, as I reran it to tee the output
to a file.)  The packages get built, and some projects will
execute including the IDE, but trying to load a project in the
IDE results in a simple dialog saying just "Cannot open project
file /path/to/file: Not an object".  This also applies to any
new project you attempt to create.... it appears to create the
directory and then produce the above error message.

I can't help but think this is somehow related to what I had to
do to get gbx to run at all in 0.93b...

+ perl -pi -e 's|lib/gambas||' src/comp/gbi.c
+ perl -pi -e 's|lib/gambas||' src/exec/gbx_project.c

Without the above lines, regardless of the arguments to the
configure script, gambas looks for the component files in the
/usr/lib/gambas/lib/gambas directory.  Symlinks didn't seem to
help this at all.  The configure command I'm presently using
looks like this:

+ ./configure i686-mandrake-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
--prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin
--sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share
--includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib
--libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
--sharedstatedir=/usr/com --mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info

This is simply what's generated by the standard %configure RPM
directive.  The "%make" directive just runs "make" by itself.

I have to jump through these hoops because

(a) gambas needs to be installed to the locations described below
for rpmlint to pass it and for Mandrake to accept it, and

(b) all mandrake packages must be entirely buildable without
superuser privileges, and unattended.  This means make install
puts them under a temporary directory for RPM to grab, and only
when they're later installed by the superuser do they end up in
their "real" locations.

- All executables for the user to run need to be in /usr/bin.
Other executables (like the library executables that go with
gambas-gui) seem to be okay in /usr/lib/gambas.
- All libraries must be under /usr/lib; previously I had been
putting them in /usr/lib/gambas-$VERSION but now they're just
going into /usr/lib/gambas.  In particular, they do not belong
in /usr/lib/gambas/lib/gambas :)
- All documentation must be under
/usr/share/doc/packagename-$VERSION.  I have been making
symlinks back to /usr/lib/gambas so that the help system can
find them.
- All include files must be under /usr/include/gambas.
- Libraries, include files and executables cannot be in the same
package.  It doesn't matter if all the libraries are only used
by the one app, they have to be separated for Mandrake's scheme.

This has worked fine for me up to gambas 0.92, but with 0.93 I
have had no end of problems trying to make it work.  I've made
all kinds of symlinks back and forth to no avail.  Attached are
my spec file and the output of the build process.  If anyone has
more experience with building gambas than i do, please let me
know if I'm doing anything obviously wrong.

Rob