[Gambas-devel] Database Updates

Benoit Minisini gambas at ...1...
Mon Jul 5 20:41:11 CEST 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 18:34, Nigel Gerrard wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> I haven't done a lot of thinking about a new interface.  I've had a look at
> unixODBC-2.2.8
> to investigate what API's are available and they seem to be very
> restrictive
>
> :-) which means
>
> a port is going to need a little more work.

Maybe we can get some code from the ODBC qt database driver. I used postgresql
qt database driver to write the gambas one.

> I've also done some thinking about Object Relational Databases and Object
> Orientated Databases.
>
>  http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/cpp.html
>
> But again I believe the interface would need changes.

I have something more ambitious for storing objects: go to
http://www.prevayler.org.

> Also, what I would like to see from the gambas side (other than making the
> database components
> available at design time :-) is a couple of database forms similiar to
> those available in the database manger
> that will be part of the utility library, and can be used to quickly allow
> editing of tables etc...rather like the
> form components in VB. The thought is that they can be associated with a
> table or a query.  I just can't get
> round to doing it. :-)

I agree with you. I want to do such controls directly in Gambas, because doing
them in Qt is a brain-damaged thing, and because I want to use them with the
gb.gtk component! But at the moment it is not really possible - It just a
matter of allowing the interpreter to use a gambas executable as a gambas
component, and changing some things in the IDE.

mailto:gambas at ...1...