[Gambas-devel] About alternative graphical component

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at ...28...
Wed Jan 7 00:04:33 CET 2004

>Yes, it sounds great, in fact, some people made the same approach:
>mono project ( http://www.go-mono.com ) , free implementation of
>"NET", are using native windows libraries to implement Windows.Forms,
>and thay use it both in Windows and... Linux!, using Wine (
>www.winehq.com ), so this library could be a free alternative to allow
>people use Gambas if they don't want to pay a QT license.
>
>However, at least for UNIX systems, i'd prefer GTK or WXWindows, as
>wine must be linked in a very strange way, starting wine-server and
>a lot of stuff, that could make a nightmare starting a little
>application to say "hello world!" in an old computer!
>
>Wine has also the problem that is portable only for platforms using
>i386 architecture :(
>
>Regards,
>
>Daniel Campos

no it's not what I meant , the point would be that this gb.win component
is only used when the detected OS is windows
it would have the same programming interface as gb.qt so apps made for
use with gb.qt could be used under windows
with no change at all

I think this is also how the gtk component is meant to be built , so
that gambas application are widget-independent

Jean-Francois Perreault