[Gambas-devel] About alternative graphical component

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at ...28...
Tue Jan 6 07:56:35 CET 2004

danielcampos at ...45... wrote:

>Hi:
>
> These days we have talk a little about GTK+ component, as an
>"alternative" graphical component to QT one. There has been
>also some work on Cygwin-Windows version.
>
> If may be one of the goals in the future is to have a Linux-Windows-
>FreeBSD-Solaris Gambas, we should think that:
>
>- QT libraries for Win probably will be never released under GPL, as TrollTech doesn't seem to like it.
>- GTK+ for Windows, is unstable, and has few support by GTK/Gnome comunity.
>
> Why not work on a WxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org/) component? It is just what we need to have a cross-platform graphical library. it internally, uses GTK+ uder UNIX and native libraries under Windows.
>
> May be it should be remarked as a point for Gambas future. What do you think about that?
>
>Regards,
>
>Daniel Campos

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it make sense to make a gb.win
component that use the win32 API , instead of sticking another layer
between gambas and the OS ?
a "drop in" replacement compatible with gb.qt's gambas interface would
make current gambas code would make current gambas code work right away
, unchanged , on windows

(or just a win32 api wrapper would me make happy)

am I making any sense ?

regards,

Jean-Francois Perreault