[Gambas-devel] GB + Parrot

Rob sourceforge-raindog2 at ...19...
Sun Feb 22 18:37:25 CET 2004

On Saturday 21 February 2004 08:05, Ahmad Kamal wrote:
> To those of you who haven't heard about Parrot. Parrot is the
> Perl6 run time engine. i.e. Perl6 code will be compiled to
> bytecode (like java) and run by Parrot. Actually the cool
> if you ask me. If a baby language like GB gets access to the
> decades of perl modules out there, it would push it light
> years forward. Also, this way, we (& others) don't have to

The problem is, many if not most perl modules will end up needing
to be rewritten for perl6 in order to be parrotized.  It's
similar to getting VB6 code working under VB.net.

I'm not ready to touch Parrot until after perl6 becomes the de
facto perl.  I think enough of the web is running on perl5 now
that it'll take a while for it to get replaced (and the web is a
far bigger place than it was when perl5 was released.)

But it does make more sense to me as a quasi-universal interface
to system calls than trying to copy that VB "declare function
lib random.dll" stuff.  Not to mention that it's more portable.

Rob