[Gambas-devel] System calls?

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at ...28...
Mon Feb 2 02:49:01 CET 2004

maybe instead of a dlopen component could it be possible to have an update to the function method declaration?

for example in vb you would say

Declare Function GradientFillRect Lib "msimg32" Alias "GradientFill" (ByVal hdc As Long, pVertex As TRIVERTEX, ByVal dwNumVertex As Long, pMesh As GRADIENT_RECT, ByVal dwNumMesh As Long, ByVal dwMode As Long) As Long

this , I believe , would be better than dlopen since it would be faster
and maybe would allow more tricky stuff like callbacks maybe ?

such as these

Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA"
(ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long
Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (pDst As
Any, pSrc As Any, ByVal ByteLen As Long)

now these would also require something like the AddressOf operator to
get the pointers to functions and variables , it would probably be a
messy hack like it is in VB but it probably could work
just the addition of a lib and alias argument to FUNCTION would make
gambas so much more powerful
anyone can say something about the feasability of this ?

btw everyone should read Visual basic hardcore at
http://www.mvps.org/vb/hardcore/
it greatly covers the subject of doing something vb never was meant to do