[Gambas-bugtracker] Bug #2047: QT in Gnome looks for Wayland

bugtracker at gambaswiki.org bugtracker at gambaswiki.org
Sun Jun 20 23:22:46 CEST 2021

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.2047&from=L21haW4-

Comment #25 by Benoît MINISINI:

> I think it's the fault of my Ubuntu, now if I open from the terminal with export GB_GUI = gb.qt5 && gambas3 I get this warning:
> qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
> qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no

These warnings are not error.

The first one is useless, as it's the 'qt5ct' plugin that tells you that you are using the 'qt5ct' plugin.
('qt5ct' is a QT "platform theme" that is based on a configuration file. It includes the widget theme and many other parameters.)

The second warning tells you that the menu of the application will not be exported through D-Bus as a global menu.

> I remind you that lately both from the terminal and from the click on the icon the IDE opens immediately, but only from the icon the mouse pointer rotates for several seconds before stopping.
> Watch this screencast, if I open the GUI with QT5 libraries using the terminal, I have no problem.
> Is it possible that with the dock it takes so long?

When you run an application from an icon, the desktop shell will show a rotating mouse cursor until the application finishes its start. The problem is how the application start is detected: the rotating mouse cursor takes so long because the desktop shell cannot detect that the application has started.

If you start an application from the terminal, the desktop shell is not aware, and so you don't have any rotating mouse cursor.

This is the same process with KDE.

I don't know why Gambas application start is not detected with Qt under Ubuntu/Gnome shell. I guess the Gambas Qt component should do something that it does not. But I have no idea why (this is normally handled internally by the toolkit, I have no control on that outside of Qt).

It's not a serious matter, as no real process is done while the mouse cursor rotates. It's just the desktop shell that does not see any answer from the started application.

Can you check that you have the same problem with a Gambas simple QT application with just one main window?

Benoît MINISINI changed the state of the bug to: NeedsInfo.