[Gambas-bugtracker] Bug #2301: IDE preferences, editor font is a total mess

bugtracker at gambaswiki.org bugtracker at gambaswiki.org
Mon Jul 5 09:44:29 CEST 2021

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.2301&from=L21haW4-

Bruce BRUEN reported a new bug.

Summary
-------

IDE preferences, editor font is a total mess

Type             : Bug
Priority         : High
Gambas version   : Master
Product          : Development Environment

Description
-----------

1) With a single instance of the IDE running the preferred Editor font is not being used in the IDE editor panel, instead it is falling back to the default font. Opening another class file results in some lines being in the selected font and others in the default font.
1a) If the preferences dialog is open and I open another file from the project class list, the editor font reverts to the default font.
2) It doesn't seem to be being updated correctly to ~/.config/gambas3/gambas3.conf either when changed or when the IDE is closed.
3) Opening multiple instances of the IDE causes total confusion when the preference is changed. If I am viewing a "non-code" file in the IDE I may wish to use a different font. Normally I want a fixed width font for all open files. Popping backwards and forwards between instances and opening a new IDE instance seems to generate a random font being used.

This is happening with the latest ppa version, i.e. as at July 5, 2021.
Benoit, I think the editor font selection needs a total rethink. But as a suggestion for part of it, it might help a bit with #3 if there was a "temporary" per-file font selector in the editor toolbar that would just render the current file in that font.

System information
------------------

[System]
Gambas=3.16.90
OperatingSystem=Linux
Kernel=5.11.0-22-generic
Architecture=x86_64
Distribution=Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa
Desktop=CINNAMON
Font=Liberation Sans,10
Scale=7
Theme=stylesheet
Language=en_AU.UTF-8
Memory=7413M

[Libraries]
Cairo=libcairo.so.2.11600.0
Curl=libcurl.so.4.6.0
DBus=libdbus-1.so.3.19.11
GDK2=libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.32
GDK3=libgdk-3.so.0.2404.16
GStreamer=libgstreamer-1.0.so.0.1602.0
GTK+2=libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.2400.32
GTK+3=libgtk-3.so.0.2404.16
OpenGL=libGL.so.1.7.0
Poppler=libpoppler.so.97.0.0
QT4=libQtCore.so.4.8.7
QT5=libQt5Core.so.5.12.8
SDL=libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4
SQLite=libsqlite3.so.0.8.6

[Environment]
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=/run/user/1000/bus
DESKTOP_SESSION=cinnamon2d
DISPLAY=:0
EDITOR=geany
GB_GUI=gb.qt5
GDMSESSION=cinnamon2d
GDM_LANG=en_AU
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE=<home>/Desktop/gambas3.desktop
GIO_LAUNCHED_DESKTOP_FILE_PID=64307
GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent:0:1
GTK3_MODULES=xapp-gtk3-module
GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge
GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0
HOME=<home>
INSIDE_NEMO_PYTHON=
LANG=en_AU.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_ALL=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_AU.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_AU.UTF-8
LIBVIRT_DEFAULT_URI=qemu:///system
LOGNAME=<user>
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
PWD=<home>
QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
QT_LOGGING_RULES=*.debug=false
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
SESSION_MANAGER=local/<hostname>:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/54065,unix/<hostname>:/tmp/.ICE-unix/54065
SHELL=/bin/bash
SHLVL=1
SSH_AGENT_PID=54138
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
TZ=:/etc/localtime
USER=<user>
XAUTHORITY=<home>/.Xauthority
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-cinnamon2d:/etc/xdg
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=X-Cinnamon
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/cinnamon2d:/usr/share/gnome:<home>/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/<user>
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
XDG_SEAT=seat0
XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=cinnamon2d
XDG_SESSION_ID=c16
XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
XDG_VTNR=7
_=/usr/bin/gambas3
force_s3tc_enable=true