[Gambas-bugtracker] Bug #1331: ODBC driver crack status 2: Result object are NULL now.

bugtracker at gambaswiki.org bugtracker at gambaswiki.org
Mon Aug 13 22:45:16 CEST 2018

http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker/edit?object=BUG.1331&from=L21haW4-

Comment #18 by Tobias BOEGE:

Since nobody else seems to use the same database systems you do, your best bet to get this fixed
is to put more effort into it on your side. And don't tell me that you don't have the time or
your screen is too small or that Gambas is in cahoots with My$QL, winbuntu and the RAM waster
industry. Remember this is a free software project and nobody owes you anything. When it comes
down to it, you are the sole reason that something you need is not working. *You* are the only
person using *truly* enterprise-grade databases here and you can't force others to use them too.

Bisect the failure. Are you 100% sure that the three commits you mentioned above cause the
difference in behaviour? Why those three commits? Why isn't it only one commit that introduces
failure? It either works or doesn't work after a certain commit. That's the first thing I'd want
to know if it affected my business. "It worked in Gambas 3.9" is also not a good enough hint for
developers, 912 commits lie between 3.9 and 3.11.4.

What you should do is fork Gambas, create a branch *off master* dedicated to the problem and
first of all revert those three commits you suspect to be the culprit, then try to run your
project with the modified Gambas. Be sure to check `gbx3 --version` before you run anything
to confirm that you run the correct Gambas. Do not just check out v3.9.0 because it's already
too far away from master. If your guess is correct, someone (not me :-)) will have an easier
time reasoning about the problem. If your guess turns out to be incorrect, you have to use
`git bisect` to find the first commit since 3.9 where your project breaks -- the single very
first commit. Better yet, write a minimal project that indicates if queries work or not and
use the power of `git bisect run` to save you time.

Either that, or continue to try to find someone who wants to solve your problems for you.
It might help if you'd at least offer to give them access to your database systems.

Tobias BOEGE changed the state of the bug to: NeedsInfo.