This is mnoGoSearch's cache of https://lists.gambas-basic.org/archive/user/2024-04/0000092.html. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared during last crawling. The current page could have changed in the meantime.

Last modified: Sun, 07 Apr 2024, 15:21:01 CEST    Size: 5676
Re: gambas very simple updater

  • Subject: Re: gambas very simple updater
  • From: Christof Thalhofer <chrisml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 08:26:44 +0200
  • To: user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Am 07.04.24 um 00:12 schrieb Bruce Steers:

I think it's a big issue though for us all, especially those here. Mostly everybody here has moved away from their os provided gambas version and updated at least to stable branch.

We are developers. In my case I have a virtual machine with the newest
Gambas to test but usually I develop with the older Gambas that is "in
production".

It's always been a problem for me as it means I am now making
software that so many people will never use it because updating
gambas is beyond them.  (I try to stay compatible down to 3.17 but
it's a pain doing that)

I think the IDE needs a working built-in online updater.

So upgrading gambas is as simple as updating the help , click a
button, wait a while.....

No ... please ... no!!!!

In my company I distribute Gambas via Apt in an own Apt repository which
copied the one on Launchpad if I had decided that it's ok. So the users
get their Gambas upgrades with normal Apt upgrades even on machines with
older OS distributions.

A long time ago I realized that I have to wait for at least the 'x.x.1'
version before I can distribute a more modern Gambas. And even that
doesn't always work. See bug 2884 where I had to revert the Gambas
installation of multiple machines because I had thought 3.19.1 was ok
but it was not.

You will send me to hell if you give users the ability to upgrade their
Gambas on their computers.

The most important thing for me is a stable machine. For some new
features I have to wait years before I can distribute them.

If you want to ship the bleeding edge Gambas with your newest fancy
program there are other possibilities ...

Alles Gute

Christof Thalhofer

--
Dies ist keine Signatur