This is mnoGoSearch's cache of https://lists.gambas-basic.org/archive/user/2024-04/0000091.html. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared during last crawling. The current page could have changed in the meantime.

Last modified: Sun, 07 Apr 2024, 09:21:02 CEST    Size: 7392
Re: gambas very simple updater

  • Subject: Re: gambas very simple updater
  • From: Bruce Steers <bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2024 23:12:21 +0100
  • To: user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 at 19:19, Jorge Carrión <shordi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey BruceS,
>
> I think you overestimate the ability of the average office user... at
> least those here, in Spain.
>
> An example: A few years ago I made a crash ticket program for my users on
> their computers. You opened the program (which was in the system menus),
> you pressed print screen, with the error message visible, and you pressed
> send. If necessary, you described in a text what you were doing when the
> error message appeared.
>
> It was installed on all machines, they were sent graphic and clear
> instructions, including a video tutorial...
>
> They used it for a month. The text was always "I got this error" and
> since that generated phone calls asking for explanations, they stopped
> using it.
> Instead, what they did was take a photo of the screen with their phones,
> and send it to me via WhatsApp with a voice message attached... which
> generated dozens of stupid voice messages and an absolute waste of time.
>
> I read, I don't know where a long time ago, "It is useless to program for
> stupid people because stupid people do very intelligent things..."
>
> In the case we are talking about, just telling them "Download the source,
> place this file there, open the console and run it..." would require 6
> months of study.
>
> Sorry for the noise. Retired old man things...
>
> Best regards

Haha , don't be so sorry, i laughed a lot reading that :D

I know exactly what you mean  :)
People like us know everything people like that need to know about
computers ;)

I think it's a big issue though for us all, especially those here.
Mostly everybody here has moved away from their os provided gambas version
and updated at least to stable branch.
It's always been a problem for me as it means I am now making software that
so many people will never use it because updating gambas is beyond them.
(I try to stay compatible down to 3.17 but it's a pain doing that)

I think the IDE needs a working built-in online updater.

So upgrading gambas is as simple as updating the help , click a button,
wait a while.....

Respects
BruceS

El sáb, 6 abr 2024 a las 17:14, Bruce Steers (<bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx>)