Re: About "git rebase"

Le 11/09/2024 à 14:22, Bruce Steers a écrit :

On Wed, 11 Sept 2024 at 13:08, Benoît Minisini <benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I have a question about git: I have a friend I work with that uses "git
    rebase" sometimes, and half the time it breaks the contents of its
    local
    repository, and then the share git repository when it pushes its
    commits.

    Does anyone use "git rebase"? If so, can he explain what the purpose of
    this command is exactly? I have never used it myself.

    Thanks in advance!

-- Benoît Minisini.

I'm no expert but here's the docs..
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rebase <https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rebase>
I used to get problems when using git pull with the wrong setting but then found using the config pull.rebase=false seems to be okay.

git config --global pull.rebase false

someone on this stackoverflow thread talks like they know what it all means https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73876703/what-are-the-pull-rebase-false-pull-ff-true-differences <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73876703/what-are-the-pull-rebase-false-pull-ff-true-differences>

|pull.rebase| can be set to |false | true | interactive | merges|.

possibly the docs about rebase and ff (fastforward) may make more sense to you :)
Respects
BruceS

I have just read an article about "git rebase". This command can be useful to synchronize a local branch to the master when you are doing a long development, or if you want to avoid too many non-informative merge commits.

But it is a powerful command as it can copy any piece of the commit tree on another place, hiding the original, and so you can break your repository if you are not careful enough...

--
Benoît Minisini.