Stream error in framing layer

I use a JSON download via httpclient to retrieve some live data. Recently I have been getting a consistent failure with the heading "error". This error, according to the internet pundits is something to do with the server doing http2 badly.

Their answer is to force curl (via httpclient) to use headers to force the server to reply in http1.1

It seems that I need to set some header to use the value "CURL_HTTP_VERSION_1_1" somehow. I have not been able to work out how to this, so has anyone got any clues?

tia