Re: gambas very simple updater

On 4/6/24 15:09, Bruce Steers wrote:

On Sat, 6 Apr 2024 at 21:10, T Lee Davidson <t.lee.davidson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 4/6/24 15:37, Brian G wrote:

    > On 4/6/24 11:56, munix9 wrote:
    >> Am 06.04.24 um 20:30 schrieb Brian G:

    [snip]
    >>> Would it be possible to host repositories for most main line
    Linux version, rpm, deb etc like the daily and stable for Ubuntu.

    >>> This would make updating a very very simple process.
    >>>

    >> something like the Open Build Service?
    >>
    >> https://openbuildservice.org/
    >> https://software.opensuse.org/
    >> https://build.opensuse.org/
    >
    > Yes like that but was thinking of something more maintained and
    secured by the Gambas project itself. I am aware there are a few
    > builds of Gambas available there already. Perhaps available thru
    the Gambas website links.

    There's PackageCloud which, they say, interfaces with GitLab CI:
    https://blog.packagecloud.io/resources/packagecloud-with-gitlab-ci/

    I read a while back that using a 'recipe', one could build and
    deploy to PackageCloud. At least I think that's what the post
    said. It was a bit over my head as I don't know how all that
    pipelining stuff works.

I thought a long time ago how we must be able to use gitlab-ci somehow.

It is after all just a set of commands that runto make and install the files on the selected os. so surely commands that built the packages and then saved/uploaded the files somewhere must be possible somehow?

What's needed i guess is a gambas package builder. for each os.
i was just looking at how to create a debian repo here https://earthly.dev/blog/creating-and-hosting-your-own-deb-packages-and-apt-repo/
Does not look too hard.  I may look into it.

It would be interesting to know how Ben does it for launchpad, ie, if he's made a function to package it or if launchpad just does all the work?
You would assume a similar method could be used for the other os's

Respects
BruceS

In the long term, I believe a solution that allows to add a repository to an OS, and uses the OS update, is a far better solution than anything

created.  I hope you find something Bruce, it would be amazing!

For a Debian system to use the current ppa, all that is needed is to create an extra config file, I do this with my own ppa, that works with both Ubuntu and deb.

~~~~ Brian