Re: [Gambas-user] A commit to make color picker show color under the mouse again

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 14:54, Bruce Steers <bsteers4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 at 14:21, Benoît Minisini <
> benoit.minisini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/03/2024 à 13:45, Bruce Steers a écrit :
>> >
>> > Somebody mentioned that color picker no longer displays the color under
>> > the cursor when moving the mouse around now.
>> >
>> > So is this any good to ya Ben?  i'll merge request if yes.
>> >

>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/d3cc23da0aca4ab4d1471abaad96269688e6c354
>> <
>> https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/commit/d3cc23da0aca4ab4d1471abaad96269688e6c354
>> >

>> > it just makes gb.form color picker show the color when using color
>> > picker again.
>> >
>> > Or did you remove that feature for a good reason?  (or a horrible
>> > reason, like wayland)
>>
>> That's wayland. All Gambas code specific to X11 will slowly disappear...
>>
>> Now the color picker is based on the desktop portal by default.
>>
>> --
>> Benoît Minisini.
>>

> Yes I understand portal is now being used, but using the portals
> Screenshot.PickColor() directly breaks the color view when picking in
> ColorChooser
>
> I'm just using the portals Screenshot.Screenshot() method instead of
> Screenshot.PickColor() so it is still good for wayland yes?

Correction
I'm actually using Desktop.Screenshot() instead of Desktop.PickColor() so
use of portal or not is as you have coded it in Desktop.class

I just got an ubuntu with wayland up and running to test some things.......
good lord , desktop portal Screenshot and PickColor really suck in how
limited they are and the lack of options, was it designed by micro$oft or
something?

it does not actually seem to take a screenshot, it just opens a dialog to
take a screenshot.  even with interactive: False it still demands
interaction ! , all the interaction setting changes is having interaction
to change the screenshot parameters before grabbing the image.

That sucks as i have also used similar code in my programs to get pixel
color at mouse position to this.
  $hZoom = Desktop.Screenshot(Mouse.ScreenX, Mouse.ScreenY, 1, 1)
  $iColor = $hZoom.Image[0, 0]

Setting Desktop.UsePortal = False just throws an error in wayland now if
you try to use screenshot or pickcolor.

God I hate wayland
So i guess using something like Desktop.Screenshot(Mouse.ScreenX,
Mouse.ScreenY, 1, 1) on wayland will still open the screenshot dialog and
demand your interaction , then after closing the dialog the full screen
image is copied to the required size and returned.

If this kind of thing is what's also going to happen with all x11 specific
code just to also support wayland then it kinda sucks.
wayland is making gambas worse :(

Sorry , I'm ranting :(
Respects

BruceS